Friday, October 5, 2012

Winogradsky Colums

Making The Winogradsky Columns

Ingredients

  • 4 tomato sauce jars (about 0.75 liters)
  • 1 gallon of soil
  • 1 egg yolk 
  • 1 egg shell
  • little strips of paper
  • about 1 liter of water

Procedure

  1. In a bowl I mixed enough soil to half fill three jars with the strips of paper.
  2. Then I filled 1 jar half way with the paper enriched soil
  3. After that I mixed the egg yolk into the soil in the bowl.
  4. With which I filled half way another jar with the paper+yolk enriched soil.
  5. Then I crushed the egg shell into the bowl and mixed it together.
  6. And then I filled half way another jar with the paper+yolk+shell enriched soil.
  7. The remaining soil in the bowl I discarded.
  8. With the last jar I filled it 3 cm. from the top with unenriched soil.
  9. With the other three jars I filled them 3 cm. from the top with unenriched soil above the enriched soil.
(abbreviations: paper enriched jar, P. paper+yolk enriched jar, P+Y. paper+yolk+shell enriched jar, P+Y+S. unenriched jar, U)

Observations of the Winogradsky Columns

Day 8


Paper enriched jar

P-enriched jar

The paper enriched jar has amazing signs of life. The organisms I can see are some sort of worm like things that squirm in every direction and poop out dirt that could possibly come from tunnels they are digging. I can see about five of them, and I can see that they are surrounded by little mounds of dirt poop that are shaped like pellets. One of them is bigger than the others and could be the parent.






P+Y-enriched jar

Paper and yolk enriched jar
Interestingly, in this jar there isn't a little worm but there is a web like thing that stretches across the jar 1 cm. from the bottom and has a orange color. If it is an animal that has made it, I have not seen it yet. It could also be possible that the web is an animal its self because it has just fallen onto the soil in a tube shape. If it turns out to be an animal, I will be extremely shocked.








P+Y+S-enriched jar

Paper, yolk, and shell enriched jar
In this jar there is no living thing that I can see, but I hope that in the days to come something will happen.













U-enriched jar

Unenriched jar
In this jar I can see one of those worm things but nothing else. I hope something will happen in the following days in this jar.

















Day 12



P-enriched jar


The worms seem to have grown quite a lot. There are still five of them but three of them are really long.

Worm tunnels (a)
Worm tunnels (c)

Worm tunnels (b)

Worm tunnels (d)










P+Y-enriched jar

In this jar everything seems dead. At the top of the soil there is a ring of black soil, and the overall soil is grayish in color. I hope it will revive its self.


Band of black soil









P+Y+S-enriched jar

This jar also has a black band but it is much smaller than the other jar. The soil is also grayish in color. I also hope it will revive its self.

Band of black soil but smaller










U-enriched jar

In this jar there is only one worm but the soil is orangish in color. The soil could be some sort of clay.














Day 17


P-enriched jar

Every thing in here seems dead. Those worms are nowhere to be seen. Also in this jar the black bands of soil have appeared. 









P+Y-enriched jar

Every thing in this jar is still dead and the water is clouded. Probably the only organisms in here (just like the P-enriched jar) are micro-organisms.










P+Y+S-enriched jar

The water in this jar is yellow maybe because a micro-organism that is yellowish in color is thriving here.










U-enriched

In this jar nothing seems different. The little worm is still alive, and the color of the water has not changed.


No comments:

Post a Comment